National Institute of Technology Durgapur is a public engineering institution which has been located in Durgapur and was established in 1960. It was previously named as the Regional Engineering College, Durgapur for engineering education in the country. It has been recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India under the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
Vision: To impart quality technical education and focus on research and innovation to cater to the need of the country.
The motto of the college is “उद्योगः पुरूषस्य लक्षणम्” that translates into “Work Maketh a Man”.
The campus covers about 187 acres of land at Durgapur, West Bengal, India. The institute is located around 160 kms north-west of Kolkata on the Howrah-Delhi main railway route. Facilities include library, computer center, banks, canteen, guest house, medical unit, post-office, ATM, seminar hall and many other labs.
Aarohan is the annual techno-management fest of NIT Durgapur.
Aavishkar is the tech fest of the college.
Recstacy is the annual cultural fest of NIT Durgapur.
The institute provides residential facilities to all its students. There are Wi-Fi facilities and common rooms with TVs available in every hostel. Each hostel is managed by a warden.
The names of the hostels are:
- P.J. Abdul Kalam International Hostel (Hall-12)
- C V Raman Hall of Residence (Hall-4)
- Jagadish Chandra Bose Hall of Residence (Hall-2)
- Meghnad Saha Hall of Residence (Hall-11)
- Mother Teresa Hall of Residence (Hall-10)
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Hall of Residence (Hall-1)
- Preetilata Waddader Hall of Residence (Hall-8)
- Rabindra Nath Tagore Hall of Residence (Hall-3)
- Rishi Aurobindo Hall of Residence (Hall-6)
- Sarojini Naidu Hall of Residence (Hall-13)
- Satyendra Nath Bose Hall of Residence (Hall-9)
- Sister Nivedita Hall of Residence (Hall-7)
- Swami Vivekananda Hall of Residence (Hall-5)
Departments and Degrees
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Applications
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Earth and Environmental Studies
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Management Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- B.TECH + M.TECH
- B.SC + M.SC
Some of the visiting recruiters of National Institute of Technology Durgapur are:
- Goldman Sachs
- Reliance Industries
Some of the institutes that have MoUs with NIT Durgapur are:
- Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic
- Caledonian College of Engineering (CCE) Muscat, Oman
- Federal University of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- Hohai University, China
- The University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Hall 5 canteen
- LH more