Regional Mathematics Olympiad (RMO) is the second level test of Math contests in India that further leads to participation of students in the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO). ). It is conducted in India by the National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) in association with the state universities registered under the UGC, under the guidance of Homi Bhaba Centre for Science Education (HBCSE). It aims to discover mathematical talent from the pre-degree level of students. Moreover, RMO is conducted in the 25 regions of India every year in the month of October.
Date and Time
Date: 6th October, 2019 (Sunday)
Time: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Candidates born on or after August 1, 2000 and studying in Class 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 are eligible to write PRMO 2019.
- Candidates who have qualified PRMO can appear for RMO.
Regional Mathematics Olympiad is a three-hour written test. In addition to this information, the RMO 2019 will have only six problems which will be descriptive in nature.
The syllabus for Regional Mathematics Olympiad 2019 pre-degree college mathematics. The topics for RMO are:
- Arithmetic of Integers
- Elementary Combinatorics
- Quadratic Equations & Expressions
- Probability Theory
- Number Theory
- Co-ordinate Geometry
- Finite Series & Complex Numbers
- System of Linear Equations
- Elementary Graph Theory
- Permutations & Combinations
- Factorisation of Polynomial
Top 30 students from every region will qualify for the second level – India National Mathematics Olympiad (INMO), with added 5 girl students. Top 50 students of each region will also receive the Certificate of Merit/Participation.
How to perform well in RMO?
- Know the syllabus thoroughly and start preparing one by one for each topic.
- Try to get a hold of the concepts and formulae. Start working on the concepts and solve different problems.
- Try to find your strong and weak points. Focus on your weak areas and keep revising the concepts of which you have a strong hold.
- Solve as many model papers and previous years question papers as you can.
- Check your time-management skills and try to pace up your speed according to the stipulated time.